Saturday 22 August 2009

Nairn's Rough Oatmeal Oatcakes




Price point: $5.50

Context: Cold Storage, Parkway Parade

Before: I'm part Scottish (the spending money part, mostly), so Oatcakes are definitely part of my range of “comfort” foods. I've eaten Oatcakes for just about as long as I can remember, so the discovery of a packet on a Singaporean supermarket shelf is always cause for celebration.

First impressions: Here's a handy little detail, and one which I wish more biscuit makers would adopt; the Oatcakes come wrapped in individual batches of 7, which makes each one much handier as a snack pack or to put on a cheese platter (Oatcakes go brilliantly well with most cheeses).

During: Plenty of texture, and with a nice, nutty flavour. According to the manufacturer, they also make an organic version, as well as a “smooth” version. But I've always liked my Oatcakes the same way I like my women - rough.

After: There really isn't anything quite like an Oatcake. They go with just about anything, are low GI (if that's important to you), high in fibre and full of Scottishy goodness. And these Nairn's ones are a particularly good example of the genre.

Total Score: 8.5/10

Last words: So fundamentally Scottish, a few of these and you'll be slurping single malts and wielding a claymore with the best of them.

1 comment:

Adrian said...

Thanks man, I've been looking for a novel form of roughage! sorry about the image change, I wanted one that would fit the aspect ratio of the blog format a little better.