Thursday 20 August 2009

BLANK GREETING CARDS - "Lonely Planet images collection"


Price point: $0 - Found in cupboard (Most likely left behind from former housemate). It appears to come in a pack of ten with two varieties; estimated price $10 - $15. This is loosely based on the assumption that cards sold by this organisation are overpriced.

Context:

Borders, uppity card shops in eastern suburbs, Oxfam, Byron Bay.

Before:

Desperation - I needed a card so I went looking for one in my house. I normally have an aversion to cards with flippant life sayings using third world countries as something cheery. I would assume that those Mexicans don't get a commission nor do they condone the saying they have been associated with as they most likely live in squats with their costumes as their only clothing. I've seen photos of Mexicans sleeping sombreros and I don't think it's only for siestas.

First impressions:
"This will do"

I enjoy the simplicity of blank cards purely because the front cover has to be generic enough to fit any occasion. This particular card I found could be used for events such as birthdays, deaths, weddings, farewells (my purpose), thank you's, welcoming of a new baby, anniversaries, celebration of a sex-change etc...

With sayings like this I could justify any occasion AND incorporate it in my personal message e.g. ' You are living your live like a song... as suggested on this card.'

Overall, despite the corny nature of positive messages such as these, I'd expect the recipient to not immediately hate it. Goal achieved.

During:

This particular card was not of conventional card size - in fact it would be a cross between a small tag card and a largish novelty card. Smaller cards = less space to write = minimal effort and thought required. The blank insides allowed me to write freely across each page, spacing my lines as I desired without having to write around a generic printed message.

The paper quality was satisfactory however it did not offer any additional appealing qualities i.e. slight sparkly background or pleasantly scented.

After:

I based this on the reaction my recipient displayed. I'm pretty sure she didn't even read the front cover. Some slight facial changes indicated the possibility of her enjoying the combination of the South American tones and general positive vibe the card may have given off. At this point I had little to no emotions attached to this particular card therefore little reflection. On reflection (of my lack of reflection), this may indicate that the card didn't achieve it's intention of inspiring the card giver or receiver; perhaps mission failed. I can imagine the graphic designer behind this card series being a 51 year old hippie who smokes daily bongs and has a sweet deal working from home. I could also imagine a bitter photographer who is angry that his 'art' was used for a fucking card set. As the card set packaging suggested, I did NOT feel connected to countries or cultures by using this product. Disappointment indeed.

Total Score: 4/10

Last words:
As cards like this may appear to benefit the third world it exploits I felt slight dirty for using it. A music novelty card would have been more ideal. I suggest cards like these to only be used in similar situations like mine. Stick to $2 shop cards.

If you liked this you may also like: Bongos, products made from African woods or hemp, sombreros, traveling the world 'rough style', Tony Robins and common Confucius sayings.

Index: www.lonelyplanet.com

1 comment:

djdizzo said...

On closer inspection I realise there are no sombreros worn by the assumed Mexicans; now I feel like a racist. Thanks Lonely Planet.