Friday 14 August 2009

Poach Egg Pod


Price range : S$29.90 for a pair

Context : Howard Storage World @
Harbourfront

Before : I actually tracked this pod from a lifestyle magazine 3 months before
I bought it. I love poach eggs, and I thought it was a FAB idea if I could make it from home as and when I want it (minus the Hollandaise sauce). And this seemed like the easy-way-out of cooking poach eggs.

First Impression : WAH, $30 for a couple of silicon pods? This better be good!

During : It didn't come with a step by step instruction manual, but common sense told me I had to crack the egg into the pod, than place the pod into a saucepan of boiling water... bubble bubble... the egg turned white, but it took a WHILE to cook through.

After : The final product was (honestly) disappointing. While trying to flip the cooked egg onto my toast, I realize that most of the egg got stuck to the silicon, and hence it didn't come out as a perfectly shaped poached egg. Note: Try to oil the sides next time? But that defeats the purpose of a healthy cooking method. And there hasn't been a 'next time' as yet...

Total Score : 5/10

Last Words : Take the $30 and buy a nice poach egg meal at House, complete with the whole deal, and a cup of coffee.

If you like this you may also like : breakfast and/or brunch

***

Over the last weekend, I decided to try it out again, this time oiling the sides, and it did work! And more importantly, it was yummy. I up the rating to 6.5/10, because I'm still not completely happy it's oil free, like how poached eggs should be.

2 comments:

crazeechloe said...

I reconfirm you DO need to oil down the sides

sputnik62 said...

I've found that the oiling bit can also be used to add flavour - a little bit of garlic, chilli or truffle oil can do wonders for the flavours of the eggs. I stick mine in a shallow pan and cover them, and it seems that about 5 minutes is perfect timing for cooked, but not over-hard poached eggs. I couldn't do without mine!